LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY

LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY

Breaking

Showing posts with label sports. Show all posts
Showing posts with label sports. Show all posts
00:34

Sports: Coronavirus threatens Matildas’ Olympics qualifying tournament


The Matildas’ qualification tournament for this year’s Olympics are in doubt amid fresh concerns about the potentially lethal coronavirus.



Just hours after announcing the schedule for next week’s six matches involving Australia, Thailand, Taiwan and China, FFA announced they would not start selling tickets on Thursday as planned.

The decision was taken after Australia’s chief medical officer Professor Brendan Murphy advised authorities evidence suggested coronavirus is contagious before people show symptoms, and contacts of any confirmed cases must now be isolated following exposure.


China’s women’s team arrived in Brisbane on Wednesday morning but have since been placed in isolation at their hotel

Queensland’s chief health officer Dr Jeanette Young said while the team’s players, coaches and officials were healthy they had recently visited Wuhan, which is the epicentre of the virus’s outbreak.

Dr Young said the team would have to stay in isolation until February 5, which is two days after the tournament is set to start with a double-header at Campbelltown Stadium.


China are scheduled to play Thailand on Monday with Australia facing Taiwan in their opening fixture.

“FFA is working with the Australian Government and AFC to explore the ramifications of this advice and how it may affect the staging of the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Qualifiers,” a statement released late on Wednesday said.

An official with the Chinese FA told AAP the team hadn’t shown any indications of the virus before departing for Australia.


She said the 21 players, coaches and officers had all undergone testing with negative results.

China have also travelled to Australia without several players including key players Wang Shuang and Yao Wei.

The pair, along with at least two others, had returned to their homes in and around Wuhan for Chinese New Year celebrations and due to local travel restrictions were unable to rejoin the squad.


Wang has played over 100 matches for the Steel Roses, scoring 28 goals, while Yao was a member of last year’s World Cup squad and has made 22 international appearances.

Wuhan was the original location for the Group B fixtures before they were relocated to Nanjing and then Sydney after China withdrew as hosts at the weekend.


Despite the uncertainty of the event, experienced Matildas’ midfielder Elise Kellond-Knight praised officials for making player safety a priority.

“We’re extremely thankful for the AFC and the FFA for putting player welfare at the forefront,” Kellond-Knight said.

“It’s an extremely difficult scenario. We understand that China had the rights to hold these qualifiers but unfortunately – because of unpredictable circumstances – we haven’t been able to go to China.”  (foxsports)
02:06

Sports: Barcelona choose between Rashford, Firmino to replace Suarez


Barcelona would still prefer to sign Marcus Rashford from Manchester United, rather than Liverpool sensation Roberto Firmino, Mundo Deportivo reports.

The LaLiga champions are drawing up a list of candidates to replace Luis Suarez, as the clock ticks down on the Uruguayan’s time at the Nou Camp.

Rashford has struggled for United so far this season, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer oversees their worst start to a campaign.

That has however not put off Barca, who apparently rate him over the Firmino, a player who has been instrumental in Jurgen Klopp’s side’s stunning start to the season.

Rashford reportedly held talks with Barca in the summer, before putting pen to paper on a new megadeal with United in July.

That deal runs to 2023, with the option of an additional year should club and player decide on one. Dailypost)
00:00

Sports: Pogba takes decision on Man U contract after failed Real Madrid move

Paul Pogba will refuse to sign a new deal with Manchester United, after seeing a move to Real Madrid fail to materialize this summer, the UK Mirror reports.


The Frenchman pushed for a transfer to Spain this summer, even publicly expressing his desire to leave.


But United blocked his attempts to force a move and put a stunning £180million asking price on him.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed after his side’s draw 2-2 with Southampton on Saturday, that Pogba would be staying at Old Trafford this season.

United would like Pogba to sign a new long-term deal, with two years left on his current contract.

The Red Devils can activate a further 12 months on that deal, but were hopeful they could convince Pogba to put pen to paper on fresh terms once the transfer speculation subsided.

But the player will resist attempts from United to negotiate a new contract, as he believes his future is with Real.(Dailypost)



02:47

Sports: No deal yet for Neymar’s return to Barca

Barcelona has denied a deal to seal Neymar’s return to the Nou Camp has been completed.  Sky Italia reported earlier in the day that the big-money move was close to being finalised – however the Spanish champions have insisted a deal is not yet done.


According to Mundo Deportivo, the Catalan giants said the reports were ‘false’ as Barcelona cannot agree to include Ousmane Dembele as part of the deal.

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu and his PSG counterpart Nasser Al-Khelaifi were in Monaco yesterday for the Champions League group stage draw.

The two clubs had been in long-running talks over the 27-year-old Brazilian, who left Barcelona for Paris in a world-record £200million deal in 2017.

The Brazil international completed training with his team-mates in Paris on Friday.

Neymar looked in good spirits as he ran through a series of drills with compatriot and team-mate Thiago Silva.

With the European transfer window set to close on Monday, PSG had reportedly rejected an offer of £118m, plus Ivan Rakitic, Jean-Clair Todibo and a season-long loan for Dembele.

PSG was holding out for a fee much closer to the £200m they paid, while Barcelona’s rivals Real Madrid were said to be preparing their own big-money offer.

The initial reports suggested, however, believed that the above players excluding Dembele – formed part of an agreement reached.  (Theguardian)
04:10

Sports: Salah shines as Liverpool sink Arsenal


Liverpool extended their perfect start to the Premier League season as Mohamed Salah inspired an impressive 3-1 win over Arsenal, while Manchester United suffered fresh penalty woe through Marcus Rashford in their shock home defeat against Crystal Palace on Saturday.


Jurgen Klopp’s title challengers made it three successive victories thanks to Joel Matip’s opener and a brace from Salah, one a stunning solo effort.

Liverpool sits at the top of the Premier League with the last 100 per cent record, three points clear of Arsenal, who saw their two-match winning streak ruined by a fatal combination of sloppy defending and poor finishing at Anfield.


Arsenal boss Unai Emery will be furious that Reds defender Matip was able to head home from Trent Alexander-Arnold’s 41st-minute corner.


And Arsenal was guilty of another needless error four minutes after half-time when former Chelsea defender David Luiz tugged at Salah, conceding a penalty that Egypt forward drove home for his second goal of the season.

Salah put talk of Arsenal’s revival in perspective when he accelerated away from Luiz and Nacho Monreal before finishing off a superb solo strike in the 59th minute.

Lucas Torreira got one back in the 85th minute, but it was too late for an Arsenal escape act.
“We were full of power, energy and greed, passion, all that you need to have against a good team like Arsenal,” Klopp said.


“We were a bit too greedy and didn’t split the runs a bit, which we talked about, but overall we were really in charge of the game.”
On Monday, Manchester United was forced to settle for a 1-1 draw at Wolves after Paul Pogba’s penalty was saved by Rui Patricio when the France star insisted on taking over spot-kick duties from Rashford.


But Rashford fared no better when he hit a post from the spot in the second half against Palace at Old Trafford, putting United on course for their first defeat of the Premier League season as Patrick van Aanholt grabbed the visitors a 2-1 win in stoppage-time.


Palace took the lead in the 32nd minute as Jeffrey Schlupp flicked on to Jordan Ayew, who was played onside by the slow-to-react Harry Maguire and side-footed past David de Gea for Palace’s first goal of the season.

When Scott McTominay was fouled, Rashford, who had scored a penalty against Chelsea in the first game of the campaign, took the ball as Pogba looked on, but the England striker’s spot-kick cannoned back off the woodwork.

Former Swansea midfielder Daniel James looked to have spared Rashford’s blushes when he bagged his second goal for United with a fine finish in the 89th minute.

But a terrible blunder by United ‘keeper De Gea proved decisive in the third minute of added time as the Spaniard allowed van Aanholt’s shot to squeeze under him at the near post.


– Missed opportunities –

It was Palace’s first league win over United since May 1991 and their first league victory at Old Trafford since December 1989.


“Two games, two missed penalties. It’s part and parcel of it. If we keep putting ourselves in those positions we will get more penalties and we will score,” United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said.
“We weren’t clinical enough in front of goal. We defended poorly at times and it cost us.”

Tammy Abraham fired Chelsea to their first win of the Frank Lampard era as the young striker’s double clinched a 3-2 victory against Norwich.

Lampard had gone three games without a victory in all competitions since he took over as Chelsea manager, but the Blues legend finally got off the mark thanks to his faith in Abraham.
Abraham had failed to score in his three previous appearances this term, but the 21-year-old striker bagged his first goal for the club to put Chelsea ahead at Carrow Road.


A pulsating encounter saw Todd Cantwell equalise for Norwich before Mason Mount restored Chelsea’s advantage.

Teemu Pukki’s fifth goal in three games this season brought Norwich back on level terms before half-time, only for Abraham to give Chelsea the points with his predatory second-half finish.

Leicester got their first victory of the campaign as they beat Sheffield United 2-1 at Bramall Lane.
Sebastien Haller’s first goals for West Ham ensured his side cruised to a 3-1 victory at Watford, while Southampton won 2-0 at 10-man Brighton.
(AFP)
01:36

Barcelona: Messi expects to be out for 'a little while' in unfortunate injury blow



The Argentine superstar strained a calf muscle in training but expects to be sidelined for only a short period of time



Lionel Messi expects to be out of action for "a little while" after suffering a calf injury during Barcelona training on Monday.

The Argentina star sustained a grade one strain to his right calf muscle in his first session back with La Liga's champions after his post-Copa America holiday.

The 32-year-old will miss Barca's pre-season trip to the United States while he recovers from the problem.

Although Barca have not put a timeframe on his recovery, Messi does not seem to think the injury will keep him sidelined for long.

"I was looking forward to starting and unfortunately I had an accident in the first training session that will leave me out for a little while," he wrote on Instagram.

"I'm grateful for all your messages and displays of affection, I wanted to be with the team and with the people who follow us in the USA.

"It wasn't to be this time, but we'll see each other again soon. A hug to everyone." (Goal)
04:16

Sports: Copa America outburst: Messi banned for three months


Argentina star Lionel Messi was banned from playing for his national team for three months and fined $50,000 on Friday by CONMEBOL after he heavily criticised the South American football governing body during the Copa America.



The 32-year-old Barcelona forward had accused CONMEBOL of “corruption” after he was sent off against Chile during the third-place play-off during the tournament in Brazil, which ended last month.

Messi was angered by two incidents during the June-July Copa hosted by bitter rivals Brazil.

Argentina were denied two penalty claims in their 2-0 semi-final defeat to the hosts, after which Messi claimed Brazil were “managing a lot in CONMEBOL these days.”

And when he was harshly dismissed in the next game, which Argentina went on to win 2-1, he couldn’t contain his anger.

“Corruption and the referees are preventing people from enjoying the football and they’re ruining it a bit,” Messi said.

He was given his marching orders after a first-half scuffle with Chile captain Gary Medel in which television pictures suggested he’d done little wrong.



The CONMEBOL statement on its website didn’t specify why Messi was being punished but said it was related to articles 7.1 and 7.2 of its disciplinary regulations.

One such clause refers to “offensive, insulting behaviour or making defamatory protests of any kind.”

Another clause mentions “breaching the decisions, directives or orders of the judicial bodies.”

The ban means only that Messi will miss a handful of friendly matches as Argentina’s next competitive fixture is not until the South American qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar begin in March.

However, he has already received a one-game ban from CONMEBOL for his red card against Chile meaning he’ll miss the first of those.

Argentina have two friendlies lined up in the United States in September against Chile and Mexico and another in October away to Germany.

Messi would miss all three of those but be free to play for his country again in November.

AFP

Disclaimer
Most News articles reported on LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY are a reflection of what is published in the media. LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY is not in a position to verify the accuracy of daily news articles, however, we ensure that only news articles from credible sources are reflected in this service. Independent opinions which are mailed to us may also be published from time to time at our discretion, however the sources for these independent articles will be clearly stated.


Share your story with us: SMS: +23409067561649, Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Email: localafricanreality@gmail.com or qubesentertainmentmagazine@yahoo.com
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Twitter: @localafricanr