Army told us of my husband‘s death a year after says Wife of soldier killed by Boko Haram

On the eve of the New Year when millions of people across the world prepared to usher in 2020 with renewed vigour, the atmosphere was solemn in the home of Abdulazeez Musa, an official of the Nigerian Army.

That day, the army broke the news of the killing of the 35-year-old soldier by Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State to the family.

It was learnt that Musa, with the service number 14NA/71/1222, was in Supply and Transport unit of the army.

Read latest: How Nigeria fashion designers reduced importation

Before they received the sad news, City Round learnt that the family had lost communication with him since December 2018, a development that threw his wife and four-year-old daughter into confusion.

The family’s apprehension was heightened by the attack on 157 Battalion in Metele in northern Borno on November 18, 2018 when scores of soldiers were killed by terrorists.

The army reportedly denied deaths of over 100 soldiers in the attack and only confirmed 23 casualties.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai, in a release signed by Brig Gen Sani Usman, also confirmed that 12 soldiers were killed at Kukawa, Ngoshe, Kareto and Gajiram, all in Borno State, when the troops came under Boko Haram attacks from November 2 to 17, 2018.

Read also: Celebrities influence youths

In the wake of the attacks, Musa’s wife, Sherifat, said she contacted him on the telephone to know if he was save but could not reach him.

The distraught widow told our correspondent on Tuesday that the family reached out to senior army officers who assured them Musa was in a good condition.

Punch correspondent learnt that Musa, who hailed from Ilorin, Kwara State, joined the army in 2014, one year after he got married to Sherifat, who was pregnant as of the time he went for the training.

He returned from the training to meet his little daughter, but the nature of his job barely afforded him time to bond with the child, who is now four-year-old.

The bereaved woman turned down our correspondent’s request to speak with other family members of her late husband, saying they were mourning.

When contacted on the telephone on Friday, the acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, asked our correspondent to send a text message to him and promised to get back with comments. He had yet to reply to an enquiry on why the annoucncement of Musa’s death was delayed as of press time. Punch
Most News articles reported on LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY are a reflection of what is published in the media. LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY is not in a position to verify the accuracy of daily news articles, however, we ensure that only news articles from credible sources are reflected in this service. Independent opinions which are mailed to us may also be published from time to time at our discretion, however the sources for these independent articles will be clearly stated.

Share your story with us: SMS: +23409067561649, Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Email: localafricanreality@gmail.com or qubesentertainmentmagazine@yahoo.com
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Twitter: @localafricanr