LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY

Breaking

In Lagos: Fire kills two-year-old boy, injures girl


A two-year-old boy was burnt to death on Friday night after candlelight gutted a storey building on Ben Okonkwo Street, Ikotun area of Lagos State.

It was learnt that a five-year-old girl also suffered burns but was rescued by emergency officials who put out the fire. The identities of the victims had yet to be identified.

Sunday Punch gathered that the fire started from a self-contained flat on the top floor of the building.

The deceased’s mother had reportedly gone out to buy some food items, leaving the candle lit while her son and the girl were asleep.

It was learnt that before she returned, the candle had burnt out and engulfed the room.

Our correspondent learnt that it took a combined team of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the state fire service to put out the fire.

“The fire started on Friday night as a result of candlelight while the woman stepped out to buy some food items. A boy of two years old was burnt beyond recognition. A five-year-old girl also suffered burns and she was taken to a hospital, but I can’t readily confirm whether the victims are siblings,” an emergency official told our correspondent.

LASEMA General Manager Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed the death of the boy, urged residents to avoid using candles and be safety conscious.(Punch)




No comments:

Disclaimer
Most News articles reported on LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY are a reflection of what is published in the media. LOCAL AFRICAN REALITY is not in a position to verify the accuracy of daily news articles, however, we ensure that only news articles from credible sources are reflected in this service. Independent opinions which are mailed to us may also be published from time to time at our discretion, however the sources for these independent articles will be clearly stated.


Share your story with us: SMS: +23409067561649, Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Email: localafricanreality@gmail.com or qubesentertainmentmagazine@yahoo.com
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Twitter: @localafricanr