BreakingNews: Shops owned by Nigerians razed down in South Africa


BreakingNews: Shops owned by Nigerians razed down in South Africa

Shops owned by Nigerians were razed down in a renewed attack on Nigerians living in Johannesburg, South Africa.


Godwin Adama, The Consul General of Nigeria in Johannesburg, South Africa, made this statement to newsmen in Abuja on Monday.

Adama said, ”On Oct. 21, a group of South African youths mobilized to attack Nigerians in the mainly black neighbourhoods of Hilbrow and Berea in Johannesburg.
The youths who earlier carried placards to demonstrate against crime and drugs regrouped in the night to attack and loot shops of Nigerians, burning about 11 shops and setting them ablaze.


”Although no life was lost, the damage to Nigerian shops and properties is grave.”
He said that calmness had returned to the area as the case had been reported at the Hilbrow police station by Nigerians affected.

”We condemn such attacks and call on authorities to arrest and try any citizen, including Nigerians who run foul of the law.


”Also, those involved in such attacks should be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

”We are also appealing for restraint to avoid further attacks while we also condemn activities of Nigerians involved in the drug business which is done in public glare in the areas.


”The youth believed that police is not doing much to discourage the drug trade and are taking laws into their hands which is condemnable,” he said.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.